Receiving a business analyst interview invitation only “opens the door” to getting a job. Acing the job interview will walk you through that door to actually get a business analyst job.
How do you prepare?
Following are six basic questions along with their answers that you will get during the job interview.
Be sure to modify each answer to match your experience, skills, competencies and personality to avoid sounding like a memorized script.
Explain how you would handle a requirement that is too costly?
Once I discover that a requirement is not feasible, I would share my findings with the stakeholder using the appropriate cost vs. benefit analysis model.
I would first clarify the actual requirement. Then I’ll explain why the requirement may not be feasible from a cost perspective with the relevant Project Sponsor, Project Manager or Stakeholder.
Cost prevents many a requirement from being implemented.
That’s why I will also document my estimated cost vs. benefit analysis and, then leave the final decision up to the Project Manager(s) or Project Sponsor.
2. How do you manage technology vs. business process challenges as a business analyst?
I recognize that finding a balance between technology constraints and business requirements always is challenging. However, I will be successful at finding or keeping that balance!
Since technology is often employed to meet solutions that meet business requirement, I always keep an eye out for technology vs. business process tradeoffs!
Here a few examples of how I’ve done that in the past …
The reality is that not all business requirements need a 100% technology driven solution and vice versa.
3. Can you explain the difference between Quality Control and Quality Assurance?
The terms quality control and quality assurance are often used interchangeably, however, in my opinion, there are some difference between the two.
Quality Assurance (QA) focuses on the developmental stage of the product or service while ensuring that the requirements are being met.
QA as it is popularly referred to; are methods or procedures used in produce products or services that are free from errors.
Quality Control however, focuses on helping products or services meet the customers specifications and while being free of defects!
As a business analyst, I may be responsible for both the Quality Assurance and Quality Control efforts for products or services based on documented and validated business requirements.
4. Describe the methods you use to gather requirements from end users?
I start by using the Zachman Framework method, i.e. the what, where, when, why, who, and how questions to interview users. I continue using this method to determine the main requirements.
I can also use prototypes or mockupss to demonstrate products to stakeholders. These demonstrations may help determine requirements analysis was done correctly.
5. As a Business Analyst, what would you say is your greatest weakness?
As a business analyst, working with software development technologies is my greatest area of improvement as I have to understand enough of the technical terms used during the Software Development Life Circle (SDLC).
6. As a Business Analyst, what would you say is your greatest strength?
My biggest strength is my verbal /written communication as well as my leadership skills.
As you modify these answers as they relate to your experience and competencies, prepare at least two examples and practice them over and over again. The more you practice your responses, the more comfortable you will be responding to these questions at your job interview. Best wishes!
- Your Resume…The Missing Link To Business Analyst Job Interviews!
- The Most Valuable Business Analysis Skills Are ??
- The Sought-After Personality Traits of Successful Business Analysts!
- How To Start A CRM Business Analyst Career
- How To Become A Healthcare Business Analyst
- Pros and Cons of Business Analysts vs Computer Programmer Careers
- Is a Project Manager or a Business Analyst Career, a Better Fit for You?
- Mock Questions for Acing Business Analyst Job Interviews
- Deciphering the Business Analyst Job Description
- How Important Is Domain Knowledge For A Business Analyst?
- How To Become A Marketing and Sales Business Analyst
- Do Business Analysts Need Computer Programmer Skills?
- How To Answer Business Analyst Job Interview Questions
- Can a Developer Make a Good Business Analyst?
- The Agile Business Analyst, A Customer Advocate?
- How To Become A CRM Business Analyst Consultant
- Which Documents Do I Write To Become A Business Analyst?
- How An Australian Software Developer Became A Business Analyst
- Business Analysts Use Customer Feedback To Improve User Experience
- Guidelines for Improving your Business Analyst Career