[Ask IT Career Coach] is a Career Advice Newsletter for Information Technology (IT) professionals including business analysts, computer programmers, data analysts, database developers, technical writers, project managers and software testers.
If you, have a challenging question about your career, submit it here and we will answer yours just as we are answering this question submitted by a reader titled: Which Documents Do I Write To Become A Business Analyst? …
This question was submitted by a “Server Monitoring Engineer” who wants to “Learn The Document(s) One Can Write To Become a Business Analyst“, here is the question …
I am a Server Monitoring Engineer with 2 years of experience and a Computer Engineering Degree. Which Document(s) Can I Learn “How To Write”, So That I Can Become A Business Analyst”?
Here is my answer to this reader’s question…
Don’t Take The Documentation Approach To Business Analysis!
Business Analysis is not about creating documents.
If someone told you that or somehow you get that impression of business analysis, then I am sorry to say that you have seriously been misinformed!
There is much more to business analysis than learning how to write some business / technical documents.
Start from scratch and assume that you really have no idea what business analysis is … and you will be better positioned to learn what is required to become a business analyst!
There are no required certifications that will make you into a business analyst but there are expected skills, techniques, tools (not necessarily software tools), roles & responsibilities that you can learn how to do or perform for a business analyst career.
Don’t look for shortcuts, Business Analysis is a real “Body of Knowledge”, which means that you have a lot to learning to do if you want to become a successful business analyst.
And keep in mind that you have to learn the body of knowledge that defines business analysis first before you start focusing on specific tasks (like documentation) that you will perform as a business analyst.
But you cannot focus on a task like documentation and expect that learning that singular task or set of tasks will make you a business analyst!
Imagine that you want to become an Engineer, would you start by saying something like: “Which Electrical Circuit Can I Repair or Which Type of Cat Engine Can I Repair To Become An Engineer?”
That would be weird right? … because repairing a car’s engine or an electrical circuit does not make you an engineer.
Engineering is first and foremost a professional body of knowledge and then a set of skills and finally practical relevant, practical, hands-on experience.
Likewise business analysis … it is first a body of knowledge, then a set of skills and finally, practical, relevant, hands-on experience developed by putting business analysis skills and knowledge into action!
What Software Do You Learn To Become A Business Analyst?
This question is similar to that asked by people who start out on their quest to become a business analyst with questions like: “What Software Do I Learn To Become A Business Analyst?” …
Just like there is no specific software or even a set of software programs that you can learn to become a business analyst, there are no specific documents that you can learn to become a business analyst.
When you ask questions like: “What Software Do I Learn To Become A Business Analyst“, you stray off the path of business analysis into a domain reserved for Software Developers.
Software Development is one of those careers that is built upon the knowledge of a specific Software or set of Software Programs unlike Business Analysis!
Likewise, when you ask questions like: “What Documents Do I Write To Become A Business Analyst“, you also stray off the path of business analysis path into a domain reserved for “Technical Writers“!
Technical Writers build their entire career on the knowledge of “how to write specific technical documents“.
So, beware, questions like: “What Are The Required Documents That I Need To Learn To Become A Business Analyst“, define your mindset as that of a Technical Writer rather than that of a Business Analyst.
First take the time to get a proper orientation on “what a business analyst does and after that, you will be in a better position to become or succeed as a business analyst.
- How To Become A Business Analyst
- What Software Do I Learn to Become A Business Analyst?
- Tool Minded Business Analysts Can’t Be Solution Minded!
This post answers the question: “What Documents Do I Write To Become A Business Analyst” which was submitted by a reader.
If you have a challenging question about your career that you will like for us to answer, submit it as a comment on this post and we will answer it for you just as we answered this reader’s questions about business analysis.
- Your Resume…The Missing Link To Business Analyst Job Interviews!
- The Most Valuable Business Analysis Skills Are ??
- The Sought-After Personality Traits of Successful Business Analysts!
- How To Start A CRM Business Analyst Career
- How To Become A Healthcare Business Analyst
- Pros and Cons of Business Analysts vs Computer Programmer Careers
- Is a Project Manager or a Business Analyst Career, a Better Fit for You?
- Mock Questions for Acing Business Analyst Job Interviews
- Deciphering the Business Analyst Job Description
- How Important Is Domain Knowledge For A Business Analyst?
- How To Become A Marketing and Sales Business Analyst
- Do Business Analysts Need Computer Programmer Skills?
- How To Answer Business Analyst Job Interview Questions
- Can a Developer Make a Good Business Analyst?
- The Agile Business Analyst, A Customer Advocate?
- How To Become A CRM Business Analyst Consultant
- Which Documents Do I Write To Become A Business Analyst?
- How An Australian Software Developer Became A Business Analyst
- Business Analysts Use Customer Feedback To Improve User Experience
- Guidelines for Improving your Business Analyst Career