From the way these statements are worded, it seems that all it takes for the job seeker to get a job is finding a recruiter with magical hiring powers.
But, is it really true?
Do recruiters have hiring powers and how much of the success or failure of the job search depends on the recruiter’s magical hiring powers?
In this post, I will clarify the recruiter’s role and show you how to tap into the magical hiring powers available to job search candidates!
- Recruiters Are Gatekeepers
Recruiters, staffing agencies or placement services simply screen and then forward resumes to employers / clients.
A placement service will forward your resume to the client / employer if you have performed jobs in the past related to the job posting.
If the employer is picky about resumes or complains about the quality / number of job candidates, the staffing / placement service will raise the requirements for submission.
But keep in mind that recruiters do not exclusivity to job postings in a broad sense because you can always forward your resume to employers, have a staffing agency do it for you or do both.
- Recruiters Are Lie Detectors
Generally speaking, many recruiters in the Information Technology (IT) industry do not have a technical background.
They have not worked with or used the tools listed on your resume / job posting and cannot really say whether you are qualified or not.
So, what they do is check your resume to see if it will pass a very basic, unsophisticated lie detector.
Recruiters want to know such things like: where you have worked, what titles you held and whether you are eligible t work for the client.
Note: when working with recruiters, take the extra step of convincing them that your resume and background is a good fit, because they may not be able to tell the difference!
- Can Staffing Agencies Claim Exclusivity?
Generally, employers will use multiple staffing agencies and then use their own internal hiring team to narrow the pool of resumes down to a few candidates who would be interviewed or hired.
An Employer may also decide to be discreet about the hiring process and use only one staffing agency.
But even in this case, the staffing agency does not make a hiring decision. All the placement service can do for you is forward your resume to the employer.
- Who Makes Hiring Decisions?
In all cases, it’s the employer’s internal hiring team / manager that makes the hiring decision and not the placement / staffing agency.
Recruiters do not have magical hiring powers and you cannot base your job search on claims of exclusivity by a recruiter.
Remember that the job search process is a democratic process and that you, the staffing agency and the employer all participate or play active roles in the process.
Discover Magic In A Law Of Numbers
One of the most important laws in the hiring process is the law of numbers.
This law says that “the more resumes you submit and job interviews you take, the greater your chances of getting hired!”
The law of numbers gives you magical hiring powers because the more recruiters, staffing or placement agencies you submit your resume to … the greater are your chances of getting hired.
So, my advice is, don’t look up to recruiters, staffing / placement agencies instead, look-up to yourself by tapping into your own magical hiring powers!
- Can You Perform? Prove It!
- Why Can’t I Find A Job?
- Is My Resume Killing My Career?
- How To Slam Dunk Job Interviews
- Can a 55 year old female become a programmer?
- How Effective Are Resume Writers?
- How to Tap Into Magical Hiring Powers
- What’s Holding You Back From Interesting Projects At Work?
- Free E-Book On How To Stay Ahead of the Technology Curve
- Tailor your Resume for Each Job
- Free Ebook On How To Easily And Quickly Master IT Careers Skills
- How To Change your Career In 5 Easy Steps!
- College Graduates Paying for Unpaid Internships!
- Harvard Business Review: How To Get A Job Without Experience
- How To Break The Unemployment Cycle?
- Is Tunnel Vision Killing My Career?
- LinkedIn Releases Job Seeker Premium Account
- How To Handle Recruiter’s Phone Calls?
- How To Overcome Age Based Discrimination In Employment
- Why Sales / Marketing Graduates Can’t Find Jobs After College?
- Would Certifications Help My Job Search?
- How To Overcome Lack of References In Resumes or Job Interviews
- Stuck in a College Mindset After Graduation
- Why Your Personality Should Match Your Career
- 5 Proven Job Interview Tips Help You Get Hired!
- Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without First Believing!