This question was submitted by Anoush from Glendale, California … Hello, I am a 55 years old female, I have done mainframe programming for more than 25 years before and I was very good in that.
However i have left my job for 10 years now helping my husband in accounting firm.
Do I have a chance to be hired if I learn .NET and create a software?
Do What You Love – Do You Love Computer Programming?
If you love learning programming languages you will put in the hard work that it takes to be the best programmer you can be.
This will involve putting in long hours to learn a suite of marketable programming languages and then going the extra mile to build practical applications that showcase your passion.
If you do not love computer programming, you will not succeed long term because you won’t be able to keep up with the rapid pace of technological change in the industry.
The real issue here is not your age but whether you have the drive, passion and desire that it takes to be a highly skilled computer programmer.
Become The Best Computer Programmer You Can Be
talent driven industry which means that your chances of getting hired depends more on how skilled you are than it does on anything else.
If you are a highly skilled, competent, trained or experienced developer and your skills are in marketable, hot, in-demand programming languages like ASP.NET, C# and SQL Server, you will get a good job regardless of any age discrimination in the industry!
Can You Perform? Prove It
Kids barely out of high school are building websites and starting jobs / businesses as web designers despite their age because nobody really cares about age, when you can perform!
So if the wisdom it is possible for these young kids to succeed at web design, I dare say that older people have at least an equal opportunity for success.
The real truth of the matter is that age is just a self-limiting barrier, so don’t let the negative, biased behaviors of others dictate what you can or cannot do!
Success Principle – Do Not Worry Or Focus On Things You Can’t Control
In “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, Stephen Covey mentions that proactive people do not worry or focus on factors or things over which they have little or no control … instead they focus on their “Sphere Of Influence” … those factors or circumstances over which they exercise control!
So, the deal is “why focus on your age?”, when you can do nothing about it?
Why not focus on things like your skills, your learning, your attitude over which you have complete control!
Multiple Career Paths For Computer Programmers
As a computer programmer, you also have the option of starting your own web design or web development business or freelancing for multiple clients.
This is perhaps one of the best ways to control your destiny or deal with age discrimination concerns once and for all!
AS a freelance computer programmer, you can work for work online for clients that are located all over the world or network using LinkedIn for potential clients.
As a freelance computer programmer, your age is even less of an issue because potential clients can try your services with little risk and then hire you on for a longer term commitment, if they find you competent.
Computer programming is a talent driven, performance minded industry where you can succeed at a freelance, contract or full-time software developer job as long as you have a passion or drive for programming.
My final advice: don’t let the negative bias of others decide what you will or will not do with your life.
This post was submitted by ana.
- Can You Perform? Prove It!
- Why Can’t I Find A Job?
- Is My Resume Killing My Career?
- How To Slam Dunk Job Interviews
- Can a 55 year old female become a programmer?
- How Effective Are Resume Writers?
- How to Tap Into Magical Hiring Powers
- What’s Holding You Back From Interesting Projects At Work?
- Free E-Book On How To Stay Ahead of the Technology Curve
- Tailor your Resume for Each Job
- Free Ebook On How To Easily And Quickly Master IT Careers Skills
- How To Change your Career In 5 Easy Steps!
- College Graduates Paying for Unpaid Internships!
- Harvard Business Review: How To Get A Job Without Experience
- How To Break The Unemployment Cycle?
- Is Tunnel Vision Killing My Career?
- LinkedIn Releases Job Seeker Premium Account
- How To Handle Recruiter’s Phone Calls?
- How To Overcome Age Based Discrimination In Employment
- Why Sales / Marketing Graduates Can’t Find Jobs After College?
- Would Certifications Help My Job Search?
- How To Overcome Lack of References In Resumes or Job Interviews
- Stuck in a College Mindset After Graduation
- Why Your Personality Should Match Your Career
- 5 Proven Job Interview Tips Help You Get Hired!
- Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without First Believing!