[Ask IT Career Coach] is a Career Advice Column for Information Technology (IT) professionals looking for answers to their most challenging career situations.
I get a number of questions along the lines of how to get a marketing and sales job after college from new college graduates who have a degree in marketing or sales and yet find it hard to get hired based on their college degree!
Why sales & marketing graduates can’t get jobs
Traditional Marketing and Sales Jobs expects skills in prospecting, cold calling, appointment setting, in-bound / out-bound sales, presentation and closing skills.
Traditionally, a sales or marketing professional would have to qualify a prospect for their ability to buy a product.
Then the marketer will have to prepare a list of companies and the key decision makers that need to be cold called on a daily basis.
The marketer will often call early in the morning or late in the day when they expect to get through the gate keepers, reach the decision maker and set an appointment for a face to face presentation.
Through a series of meetings and face to face presentations, they expect to move through a list of objections and then get the buy-in of the copoany or executive that they are selling to.
Finally, they need to be good at closing the sales and then they may have to work with the implementation team or Account Managers to make sure that the client is still happy after the sale.
But that is what traditional sales and marketing jobs used to be. Now, there is a whole new paradigm known as selling on the web and traditional sales and marketing skills tend to be less and less important.
That is why a lot of marketing and sales graduates end up not being able to get a job because they don’t have the new skills of selling on the web or internet.
Selling on the web or internet requires a different set of skills including
#2: Blogging about your products or services
#3: Building a community using Social Media
- Can You Perform? Prove It!
- Why Can’t I Find A Job?
- Is My Resume Killing My Career?
- How To Slam Dunk Job Interviews
- Can a 55 year old female become a programmer?
- How Effective Are Resume Writers?
- How to Tap Into Magical Hiring Powers
- What’s Holding You Back From Interesting Projects At Work?
- Free E-Book On How To Stay Ahead of the Technology Curve
- Tailor your Resume for Each Job
- Free Ebook On How To Easily And Quickly Master IT Careers Skills
- How To Change your Career In 5 Easy Steps!
- College Graduates Paying for Unpaid Internships!
- Harvard Business Review: How To Get A Job Without Experience
- How To Break The Unemployment Cycle?
- Is Tunnel Vision Killing My Career?
- LinkedIn Releases Job Seeker Premium Account
- How To Handle Recruiter’s Phone Calls?
- How To Overcome Age Based Discrimination In Employment
- Why Sales / Marketing Graduates Can’t Find Jobs After College?
- Would Certifications Help My Job Search?
- How To Overcome Lack of References In Resumes or Job Interviews
- Stuck in a College Mindset After Graduation
- Why Your Personality Should Match Your Career
- 5 Proven Job Interview Tips Help You Get Hired!
- Nothing Great Was Ever Accomplished Without First Believing!