[Ask IT Career Coach] is a Career Advice Column for Information Technology (IT) professionals looking for answers to their most challenging career situations.
This post answers the question of “how to transition into a new career“.
If you are making a career change and you don’t know how to effectively transition into another field, follow these simple steps to transition your career.
Do what you love
Discover what sort of career you will be passionate about before making a transition.
Yo may transition because of a bigger salary, market demand, job security or interest level.
Transitioning because of interest level or passion is the best reason.
Get Hands-On Experience
It will be hard to transition your career without getting some hands-on experience.
Yes, you need to get this hands-on experience before you get the job … otherwise no one will believe that you are capable of doing the job
Let Your Resume Sell You
Your resume should reflect where you are going to and not where you are coming from.
You need to get a hold of the resume of someone who is established in the career you are transitioning … and find a way to get matching skills, experience or portfolio.
Don’t Follow The Crowd
Do not transition to a career because others say it is hot.
Transition into a career because you are willing to pay the price to succeed in that industry because without hard work or sacrifice, you are bound to fail.
Be The Best
Prepare to be the very best at your new career.
If you fail, then you will be above average.
Don’t plan to be average in your new career because you will under-estimate the effort you need to make and end up without a job.
- What Career Is Right For Me?
- Can Certifications Take the Place of Experience?
- How To Build A Career In Information Security (INFOSEC)
- Is A Lack of Confidence Holding You Back? Overcome It Now!
- Are You Worried About The Future of Tech / IT Jobs?
- How To Transition Into A New Career
- How To Live Up To Your Potential in 3 Steps!
- A Day In The Life Of An Agile Business Analyst
- Don’t Let Your Career Become A Silo!
- What Is The Best Career Move for Technical Support Engineers?
- How To Change Careers Starting At Your Current Employer
- Why Tech Jobs Are Better For You
- How To Become A Technical Expert
- Which Programming Language Is Best To Start With?
- Is An MBA Required For Business Analyst Jobs?
- How To Start Programming for Mobile Phones?
- The Survivors Guide To Overcoming Unemployment
- Is Business Analysis A Good Fit For My Personality Type?
- How to list two different careers on a resume
- Put Your Blinders On Before You Read This!
- How To Earn Significantly More Money, When Your Career Hits a Plateau!
Follow these simple steps to transition into your new career.