How To Transition Into A New Career

Part 4 of 21 in the Series: Career Advice - Ask IT Career Coach
Career Advice - Ask IT Career Coach
Career Advice - Ask IT Career Coach

[Ask IT Career Coach] is a Career Advice Column for Information Technology (IT) professionals looking for answers to their most challenging career situations.

This post answers the question of “how to transition into a new career“.

If you are making a career change and you don’t know how to effectively transition into another field, follow these simple steps to transition your career.

1. Do what you love

Discover what sort of career you will be passionate about before making a transition.

Yo may transition because of a bigger salary, market demand, job security or interest level.

Transitioning because of interest level or passion is the best reason.

2. Get Hands-On Experience

It will be hard to transition your career without getting some hands-on experience.

Yes, you need to get this hands-on experience before you get the job … otherwise no one will believe that you are capable of doing the job

3. Let Your Resume Sell You

Your resume should reflect where you are going to and not where you are coming from.

You need to get a hold of the resume of someone who is established in the career you are transitioning … and find a way to get matching skills, experience or portfolio.

4. Don’t Follow The Crowd

Do not transition to a career because others say it is hot.

Transition into a career because you are willing to pay the price to succeed in that industry because without hard work or sacrifice, you are bound to fail.

5. Be The Best

Prepare to be the very best at your new career.

If you fail, then you will be above average.

Don’t plan to be average in your new career because you will under-estimate the effort you need to make and end up without a job.

6. Follow these simple steps to transition into your new career.

7 Responses to "How To Transition Into A New Career"

1. Brian Z   April 1, 2017 at 12:21 am

A number of years ago I got my Associates in Network Systems Administration but due in part to the timing of my graduation and where I live I was not able to find a job in that field and ended up in an unrelated job just to pay the bills. I recently have regained my drive and hope to find a job in the field so that I can start a career in it, but as in the past I am having issues writing a good resume that accurately showcases my skills as they tend to have been gained while working on my own systems or those of family and friends. I have had a few very short term (one/two day up to a week long) IT related that I was hired by various IT staffing agencies to carry out, but the majority of my work history is not related to IT.

What kind of resume should I be making, and how should I craft it to get the most desirable reaction from potential employers?

Also, how should I answer questions regarding the time since I got my degree and now as well as the few previous one off jobs that I have had related to IT since most of them were just PC refresh or OS migration jobs in which I had a fairly basic role?

2. Raja   July 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Hi,

I am a BE(Comp Sci.) and currently working as a Requirement Analyst in a Telecom industry.

Please help me pursuing my career forward to become a business analyst.

Also please tell me what courses or certifications

I need to complete for this over the period of time.

• IT Career Coach   July 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Requirements analysts are also business analysts except when ypur company differentiates between them because you are not allowed to peform other business analysis roles.

Assuming that your definition of the roles or responsibilities of a requirements analyst are more narrow than those of business analysts, start by learning the full spectrum of the roles and responsilities of a business analyst, identify the skills gap between your current duties as a requirements analyst and the bigger scope of duties assigned to business analysts and then bridge that gap through training.

Click here to get more information on the full scope of the business analyst roles or responsibilities

3. Raj   July 11, 2010 at 12:28 pm

i do have a total of 6 years work experience, out of which 4 years were in healthcare ( worked as a SME(Subject matter expert)).

i’ve got a gap of 17 months as i did my masters(MBA).

Now i would like to go as a Business analyst. please suggest whether i can go as a BA or not.

Also guide me in preparing my resume. please help me out as i’m a bit confused.

• IT Career Coach   July 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm

having an MBA does not guarantee BA jobs. You are confused because you are mistaking your educational qualifications for the hands-on skills / experience requirements for getting a job.

Being an SME (Subject Matter Expert), is not the same as being a business analyst and an MBA is not about business analysis either.

So, start from scratch to review your suitability for business analyst jobs and forget about your educational qualifications.

Start by identifying or learning the core business analysis skills first to make your skills more relevant to healthcare business analysis jobs.

Click here to learn about the core business analysis skills

4. Alex   July 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I am making a career change and I don’t know how to effectively transition into another field.

• IT Career Coach   July 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Alex, transition into a new career is simple, if you can follow the steps in this article.

Do you have any questions about how to follow these steps?