Why Can’t I Find A Job?

Part 2 of 26 in the Series: Why Can't I Find A Job?

Beat the Recession
Beat the Recession
You’ve got a college degree, a good looking resume and an impressive listing of Information Technology (IT) skills but can’t seem to find an IT job.

Finding a Job doesn’t have to be a traumatic, nerve racking or frustrating experience filled with rejection, fear and pain!

Just follow this article series to find out what’s wrong or get back in control of YOUR job search.

1. Do You Have a Marketable Skill? Did you assume that because your skills were in-demand a few years ago, they are relevant today?

The market doesn’t lie! … If your phone isn’t ringing or you aren’t getting job interviews then your skills need to be updated!

What looks like a minor skill gap to you is a major skill gap to hiring managers because that’s what they’re paying for!

2. Is Your Resume Killing Your Career? Your resume screams “hire me because I need this job” and says little about what you can do for the employer!

Get a clue, no-one cares about you until you prove that you care about them!

Put yourself in the employer’s shoes by re-writing your resume to say: “here is what I can do for you” and you’ll get a job paying surprisingly more than you asked for!

3. Are You Flying by the Seat of Your Pants? Your failure to plan your job search is the reason why your job search is falling apart!

Start your job search with a competitive analysis of your strengths and weaknesses in the current job market (SWOT Analysis) and then create a strategic job search plan that addresses your findings!

Applying for every online job doesn’t work because everyone else is doing the same thing and you must differentiate yourself to succeed.

4. Do You Suck at Job Interviews? You need to learn “how to interview properly” because something you’re doing is freaking out potential employers!

Face-to-face or phone interviews are make or break opportunities that can’t be treated casually or left to chance.

So learn “how to slam dunk job interviews” to improve your job search or get hired fast!

5. Can You Perform? Prove It! Performers get hired wherever they go!

Everything about your resume, job interviews or attitude must prove that you’re a performer because that’s what potential employers wants to hear!

Remember that IT Managers view: your past performance as the best indicator of your future performance.

So, get your act together and differentiate yourself from the competition. Prove that you’re a job candidate worthy of hire!

Remember that Employers are still hiring for Information Technology (IT) jobs despite the economy … so, if you can’t find an IT Job, you’re doing something wrong!

Finding a job doesn’t have to be an emotionally demanding, long-drawn out process. Just learn the process outlined in this series of articles and you will be in-charge of your job search.

6 Responses to "Why Can’t I Find A Job?"

1. Vantisia   August 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm

The toughest challenge facing my career is I have done 10 years of Administrative Assistance work, during this time, I went back to school and got my AS and BS degrees in Criminal Justice and my MBA in Business.

Yet I have no experience in none of the degrees.

This is a challenge since no one wants to hire you w/out experience.

I also have 3 resumes:

1) Administrative Assistant

2) Criminal Justice

3) MBA

• IT Career Coach   September 1, 2010 at 11:35 pm

More degrees does not equal more job security or employability.

Put yourself in the employer’s shoes for a moment.

Employers want to know if you have the practical skills to do a job. From your standpoint, you feel that more education provides that assurance … but it doesn’t!

More education, degrees or college qualifications proves that you are academically smart but it does not prove that you know about the specifics of a particular liine of work like Business Analysis or Technical Writing or Project Management or Computer Programming.

This is because someone who is knowledgable in those areas will always out-perform you in those specific duties regardless of your educational qualification.

Change your mindset by answering a few questions:

1. What specific line of work are you interested in pursuing?

2. What are the practical skills required to perform that work?

2. Kingsley Tagbo   July 17, 2009 at 11:17 am

How to get new clients and business

Les, How are you?

I would be glad to help you with some information.

There is a lot that may be said, so I will ask you to look out for the SWOT Training that I’ll be releasing in the week 1 week for Freelancers whiuch will include:

1. “How to align your strengths with your market”
    2. “How to use run your business using SWOT Analysis”

Here is some information on how SWOT Analysis Training will help you:

1. Start with a SWOT Analysis which helps you view your business or industry in a 360 degree fashion. SWOT Analysis will help you determine how your business stacks up compared to your competitors in your m,arketplace.

2. SWOT Analysis will help you identify the opportunities that you can or should capitalize on!

3. SWOT Analysis will help you develop business plans for your marketing or a job search activities.

The planning which SWOT Analyaia helps you do will tell you how you are going to achieve your business objectives.

It addresses things like how you will take advantage of your opportunities (tactics) as well as measures you will use to track or monitor progress.

That’s it in a nutshell.

I will be posting a detailed reply to your comment soon.

Cheers.

3. Les   July 17, 2009 at 10:37 am

How Not To Spend a Fortune on Google Adwords?

Hi ‘Coach’!

As a (nearly) new we-faced business I’m facing the classic ‘how do I drive the right kind of client – not just a browser – to my site, without incurring huge consultancy fees, or having to spend a fortune on Google Adwords?

Regards

4. IT Career Coach   July 14, 2009 at 6:44 am

Not Really,

The demand is not based on having more or less than fifteen years of experience.

When I started my consulting career I had 1 month of experience but the demand for my skills was the same as if I had 5 or 10 or 15 years of experience.

The demand is based on “how good you can prove that you are” and not on the actual number of years even though it may seem otherwise.

But you did bring up a good point. Which is, what is the demand for our skills based on?

5. YSG   July 14, 2009 at 2:43 am

The articles is motivating but in reality theres is less demand for experienced professional who are having more than 15 years of experience.