How Do I Overcome Employment Gaps In My Oracle Programming Career?

Ask IT Career Coach
Ask IT Career Coach

This question was posted by a reader who wants to overcome obstacles posed by employment gaps in an Oracle Programming Career!

Please, send this post to your friends using the “Tell a Friend” Button button below. You earn points or cash each time you refer an article to your friends using the Tell a Friend Button.

If you need help with a Question or Challenge, be sure to ask it as a comment on this page and I will answer it fully just as I am answering this reader’s question below!

Here is the Reader’s Question:

Hello,

The toughest challege facing my career right now is, I have been unemployeed for an extended period of time.

I have nine years of Oracle programming experience, but I have been out of work for some years now.

I have been told by employeers that it has been too long since I have had any professional experience.

The job market is very competitive right now.

How do I compete with other programmers who may not have been out of work as long as I have?

I am attending classes so that I am not completely idle. My major is Computer Information Systems. However, I urgently need to work.

Here is my Answer:

Although, the job market is competitive, getting back into full-time employment after a stay at home period is not impossible.

Follow these guidelines to boost your competitiveness compared to that of other computer programmers.

1. Broaden Your Skills: To stay competitive in the job market, you must broaden your skills because IT Managers are hiring for a broader range of skills!

Begin by learning those skill that are in high demand and are also a natural complement to your existing skill base.

For example, SQL Server programming skills are in high-demand and will complement your existing skill sets. By learning SQL Server programming you will be able to target both Oracle Programming Jobs and SQL Server Database Programming Jobs.

2. Transition To a Software Developer Career: Take advantage of your existing programming strengths by learning a new programming language!

Draw upon your understanding of Oracle programming to learn a completely new programming tool.

This will help your career by giving you skills that make you more attractive to employers.

For example, there are lots of programming jobs that require Microsoft .NET Front-End Programming Skills and Oracle Database or SQL Server Back-End Developer Skills.

By learning Microsoft.NET you will become competitive in the current job market as you gain the ability to work on the User Interface Front-End or Business Logic Layer or Database Back-End!

3. Overcome Employment Gaps By Becoming More Marketable: There is nothing that you can do about your employment gaps because it’s already happened and it is going to stay on your resume!

However there is plenty you can do if you understand the power of having a marketable skill.

When you hear employers complaining about the gaps in your employment, what they are really saying is that they don’t find your resume or skills compelling enough!

You can completely by-pass this objection by acquiring the kind of skills that make you a marketable, in-demand IT Professional.

This is the single, most important thing within your power to do … Learn a new skill or career that makes you instantly attractive, desirable and employable!

How to Overcome Your Employment Gap?

Not too long ago, I was helping someone who hadn’t worked for a number of years. He was in a pretty bad situation because he had a very short employment history and also an employment gap for no good reason.

The way we got around that situation was by getting him to update his skills by learning Microsoft .NET Software Development.

The demand for Microsoft .NET programmers is so high that this guy got hired at his very first interview … despite not having a credible explanation for the gaps on his resume!

I ‘m saying that considering your Nine Years of Oracle programming experience, all you have to do is to make yourself more marketable.

Remember that you already have a far better resume than the individual in question.

So, How Do You Become A Microsoft .NET Software Developer?

1. You become a Microsoft .NET Software Developer by enrolling at the SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS BOOT CAMP!

The software developers boot camp is an Online, Video Based, Web Based, Instructor Led, Beginner to Advanced Software Developer Training that incorporates knowledge based training in the form of Video Lessons and Hands-On Skill Building Microsoft.NET Training in the form of Microsoft .NET Projects, Case Studies, Labs, Hands-On Coding Activities and more.

2. The SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS BOOT CAMP provides you with the skill needed to become a professional software developer or consultant. You learn ASP.NET, C#, Web-Based development in a practical, real-world, hands-on online computer programming course!

3. Finally, I will also advise you to register for the SQL Boot Camp because SQL Server Database skills are usually required in Microsoft .NET software developer positions. You should register for both the SQL Boot Camp and the Software Developers Boot Camp at the same time to get the best results.

So, register here for the SQL BOOT CAMP and also register here for the SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS BOOT CAMP!

This post answers a question posted by a reader on “How To Overcome Employment Gaps in Oracle Programming Career! If you have any Question about your career, Post IT as a comment on this page and I will be sure to answer it for you!

10 Responses to "How Do I Overcome Employment Gaps In My Oracle Programming Career?"

1. Allen   August 11, 2009 at 5:31 am

I have worked as a mainframe Programmer/Analyst for over 25 years(initially with COBOL, more recently with Adabas/Natural).

I have a gap developing because I got laid off from a permanent position in late 2007(had been there 18 years) and then again from a contract position in late 2008.

Both layoffs were attributable to the economic downturn.

I am now going back to school learning an Enterprise Developers Curriculum(C#,Java,.NET,Object Oriented Programming,SQL,
    Oracle,XML,J2EE,Web Services).

The program ends in October.

In this depressed economy, will I be able leverage my many years of experience in mainframe programming plus my new training to secure a new developers opportunity?

2. Bill   August 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I understand and fully agree with the expert’s advice to this Oracle person who has not done used his skills recently.

I am retooling and getting sharp on some IBM Mainframe skills that I used for 12 years (but not in the past 10 years).

However, my challenge is HOW TO GET THE “HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE”.

My skills are MVS Systems Programmer, not mainframe developer, so I really NEED to get my hands on a mainframe to say I have current hands-on experience.

I don’t know how to get hands-on, without first landing at least a consulting gig. But then they want recent hands-on, to get that gig. It seems like a catch-22.

Do you have any expert advice on how to fix this job landing shortcoming?

Bill

3. IT Career Coach   August 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm

You may also be interested in reading this article: how to become a highly paid corporate programmer:

4. IT Career Coach   July 24, 2009 at 5:24 am

Goal Planning for Oracle PL/SQL Programmer. SMART means specific, measurable, accurate, realistic and timely.

1. Align your goals with your department’s. Find out from your manager which goals are your responsibility every quarter. The manager or department has been given goals from corporate and your goals have to align with that.

2. Break up the overall objectives or goals set by your manager into milestones. Because IT is fast paced, you want to set weekly goals. You may end-up having weekly goals for each objective shared with you by your manager.

3. Develop a personal strategy for the goals you’re given. Find out if you have the resources to achieve the goals. Do you have enough time, skills, training, resources etc. Identify the areas where you will need your managers help and share it with your manager.

4. Implement your plan and track it personally on a daily basis

Raise up any issues that may drastically affect your goal planning early with your manager.

That’s it in a nutshell.

Does this help? If it does, please use the tell a friend button below to recommend this article or other articles to your friends and feel free to post more questions on this page.

5. Virul Patel   July 23, 2009 at 9:56 am

Sir,

I am Oracle PL/SQL Programmer of 4 years experience, Having some basic knowledge of Oracle DBA (Imports, Exports, Data base tablespaces and schemas, Triggers). In my current company i should have to set SMART Goals for every Quarters. What kind of SMART GOALS i can set, So that my career can get better growth.

I also having knowledge of SQL Server programming, DTS Package.

Please advice,

Thanks,

Virul Patel

6. Harry   July 21, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hello,

Am a study at DeVry work on my BS in Computer Engineering Technology. Most of my classes are C++ base and electronics design base.

I have worked on a few casual video games made with C++. But now I want to move into .Net programming because it’s hard to get a job working for a game company on a remote bases.

What would be the best move for me?

Thanks,

• IT Career Coach   July 24, 2009 at 5:37 am

Harry, as a Devry BS Computer Engineering Technology Student you will be able to transition to Microsoft .NET

Based on your observation about the C++ Video Game market, I would say that you’ve got good analytical skills.

Yes, you probably won’t be able to get a remote C++ Video game programming job without a lot of education (post graduate / doctoral) and lot’s pof years of hard-core game programming experience.

The good news is that Microsoft .NET is in high-demand right now, so you’ll be able to get a jonb once you master it.

The Learning Curve for Microsoft .NET is short compared to the C/C++ Video Game market.

I covered the specific steps that you would have to take in the book “The Computer Programmers Book – The Street Smart Guide to High Paying Computer Programmer Careers” which you will find here: http://www.it-career-coach.net/training-ebooks/

Briefly you want to learn ASP.NET (used for building web applications or websites), C# (actual programming language) , SQL Server (Microsoft’s Relational Database) and a number of other topics.

I would like to discuss this with you further and answer as many questions as you may have.

7. IT Career Coach   July 18, 2009 at 12:01 am

The demand for skilled programmers guarantees you a freelance or consulting or full-time job … if you are up to it!

8. IT Career Coach   July 17, 2009 at 11:33 am

4 Years Microsoft.NET Experience will get you a good job!

You also have to make sure that your interviewiung skills and resume are up to par.

9. Manoj   July 17, 2009 at 10:26 am

Will I get a good Microsoft.NET Job?

Hello sir

Thanks for your mail.

I have not done graduation but having worked in dot net nearly 4 years.

Will I get a good job?