How To Get An IT Business Analyst Job

Part 3 of 22 in the Series: The Business Analyst Job Description
How To Get An IT Business Analyst Job?
How To Get An IT Business Analyst Job?

On of my readers needs help with finding a business analyst job, so I am posting the information I provided to him in this article.

If you have any questions about this or about your business analyst career, post it as comment at the end of this post and I would also answer or address it for you.

Here is the business analyst career question posted by my reader:

Hi – my greatest challenge is the fact that I’ve never held an IT Business Analyst position.

I’m convinced I can do the job based on my experience, but I have not had any interviews outside of my current employer.

I had a few interviews in my current company but was being sabotaged by my former boss so I never got the job.

As the economy has dived over the last few months, I am not getting any offers for interviews. I’ve given up trying to get into the IT Bus Analyst field for now.

What do I need to do to get back into the ‘hunt’? And, how do I convey to potential employers that I am the man for the job?

Here is how this business analyst can address the situation facing him:

Why Do IT Managers Hire Business Analysts?

IT Managers hire business analysts with skills, training and experience matching specific jobs.

IT Managers list a wide range of business analysts skills in job postings including UML, Use Cases, Requirements Elicitation.

IT Managers Are Looking For Hands-on Business Analysis Experience

The Key to getting a business analyst job is to find out what employers or hiring managers are looking for and then give it back to them.

This sounds quite easy and simple, but believe me, it is not that easy. There is a lot that goes into following this straightforward advice.

What are IT Managers hiring for? IT Managers are looking for hands-on skills, experience and expertise in specific knowledge areas.

You may already have some of the requisite skills and experience based on your previous or current job experience.

Some of the most frequently asked for skills are included in the business analyst course curriculum listed here …

Tailor Your Resume To Business Analyst Jobs

You may already be able to do a business analyst job based on your current experience so, why not also work on improving your current resume so that it reflects the experience or skills you already have in business analysis?

Begin by highlighting and expanding on the business analysis tasks you have performed in the past.

Put more spotlight on the skills you utilized, the business analysis roles and responsibilities you held (formally or informally) and the results you achieved.

You want to joggle your memory and bring out every relevant detail. Imagine that you are making your case in front of a skeptical judge.

Your prosecutor is the list of job candidates that would make a better presentation than you. The arguments in your favor is your resume.

Your business analyst resume has to be very convincing for you to get the job.

Improve Your Business Analyst Resume

The strongest argument that you can make will be along the lines of experience, resume and skills.

So, you want to marshal all your arguments forcefully on your resume because if you don’t, you may never get a second chance.

If your resume is not convincing, you may not get a second chance or a follow-up phone interview or a face to face interview or the job or an offer or the ability to pay your mortgage … you get the picture?

Add More hands-on business analysis experience to your resume!

The fastest way to get hired for an IT business analyst job is not your educational qualification or your business analysis certification but your hand-on business analysis experience!Are you surprised about that?

IT Managers know that certifications can sometimes be gamed!

There are horror stories about job candidates who have the perfect certifications and the perfect scores and then fail to perform on the job after they are hired!

These sorts of candidates have damaged the credibility of the certification market! But experience cannot be gamed

It either you have experience or you don’t. Because IT Managers are looking for hands-on experience, your can cut to the chase by getting a lot of hands-on business analyst experience such as that offered through the business analyst boot camp online training here:

There are other ways to gain hands-on experience and I discuss this next:

• Start again by volunteering for non-profit organizations. They are plenty of them around and in this recession they will be needing your help even more!

• Do a good job and ask the non-profit organization to provide you a reference for for the work you’ve done for them.

• Use your spare time in the evenings and weekends to rack up your experience and references.

• Then go on a job hunt. Start by sending your resume to multiple recruiters (not just one or two recruiters), telling them that you are in the market for a business analyst job. Then just sit back and wait for them to line up business analyst job interviews for you.

• That is all you need to do. Take massive action towards landing your dream business analyst job and while you are on it, forget about the economy or the recession or your manager who denied you the opportunity to move ahead.

FYI: Stephen Covey in “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” mentions that proactive people do not worry or focus on factors or things over which they have little or no control … instead they focus on their “Sphere Of Influence” … those factors or circumstances over which they exercise control.

So, while you may not be able to change the past or the economy or the recession, you can dramatically improve:

• Your Business Analyst Resume

• Your Business Analyst Hands On Experience

• Your Business Analysis Job Interview Skills

If you have any question or challenge about your business analyst career, go ahead and post it as a comment at the end of this article and I will address it for you.

47 Responses to "How To Get An IT Business Analyst Job"

1. Chathuranga   January 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

Hi.., can you please tell me some of the entry level jobs (their designations) that doesn’t ask for previous experience but helps to gain experience in Business systems analysis field?

Thanks

2. Armaan   September 6, 2012 at 2:16 am

Hi , I am currently working as ‘Data Analyst’ in Oracle India Pvt lmtd. from past 1 and half year. I want to get into the Business Analyst career. How can i get into that? Does my experience works for business analyst career? What are the certifications or courses i should take for that? Kindly educate me on this.

3. Rick (London, United Kingdom)   December 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Hello IT Career Coach,

I am interested in making a career change from working currently in 1st & 2nd Level Support Client Service with additional duties as team leader and occassional duties as Project Management and QA Tester in a Gift and Loyalty Card technology service provider for over 3 years to becoming an IT Business Analyst or IT Service Delivery Analyst.

My Education background is a degree in Business Management and I am currently working on ITIL v3 Foundation Certification in IT Service Management.

As I do not have a “proper” education in IT, I am also planning to take on a course that will help me gain a certificate in CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals.

Can you advise if the job title IT Business Analyst and IT Service Delivery Analyst are of the same role?

Aside from my currenty work experience, will getting the certifications be essential in making the career change?

What is the best way in obtaining an entry level IT Business Analyst or IT Service Delivery Analyst Role?

4. Rishi   December 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Hi all,

I am working as Implementation consultant in marine company based in Bangkok . I am interested to work as BA . Currently i am working as an interface b/w users and s/w developers. Writing documents, FS, Test cases,preparing User manuals, Understanding and analyzing user’s requirements . Report analysis based on the requirement provided by users etc..

I want to know whether i will get a job in India . I have 1.5 yrs experience ( on-site) and i am looking for a change.

Kindly let me know whether i need to learn anything new or what skills should i learn to improve in this field. I dont have much experience in technical side since i didn’t get that opportunity in this current company.

Please clarify the points which will be useful for me to improve

5. Virginia   May 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I do not understand how to start a career as a Business Analyst. Even Entry Level BA positions ask for 5-6 years of BA experience … Either they are fooling themselves or they think others are fools in the market..
    Can someone please suggest how to find a first job in BA if one has just undergone training without work experience?????

6. Virginia   May 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Hello,

I am struggling to place myself as a Business Analyst. It just seems like I am in a circle trying to find a corner … Most of the requirements are unique and specific and ask for Business Intelligence skills or Data Analysis which has become a very big challenge /struggle for any beginner in the BA/IT field.

It would really help if you could link us to some Non Profit Organizations who would hire us based on our interest and knowledge in the BA field or else it would practically be impossible to achieve a goal in becoming a BA.

Also one of your blogs mentioned that employers are not looking for Junior BA’s but BA’s who are specialist — so does that mean one needs to manipulate their resume or lie in their past experience to succeed ?????

Please help….

• Hazel   March 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

Some BAs start in the IT field by working on business systems as ‘testers’. A senior BA writes the test cases (use cases) and shows you how to execute them and verify the expected results.

Testing provides you with the opportunity to fully understand how a particular business system works.

For example, if you are testing changes to interest rates in a Credit Card system, from the expected test case results you will get ‘some’ business experience in how the interest is calculated and applied in the credit card field.

You might also be asked to test how outstanding balances are aged. But you are not yet an expert in the credit card business. However, if you were to apply for a BA position on a mortgage business system then you would match your problem solving skills and business experience to what the job description vacancy is asking for.

Since mortgages deal with interest rates and delinquencies, chances are you could be a match based on your ‘business’ exposure to testing but you would still have to learn the mortgage business from scratch.

Another avenue is to become a Customer Service Rep. I have trained CSRs to become BAs. The CSR knows a great deal about business systems as they are trained to answer front line questions.

I have trained co-op students from the IT discipline during their work terms to become BAs. Job searching is about the needs of the employer (not you).

Whether it is government, professional organizations or corporations, employers want to know that your skills, knowledge and abilities will add value where they need it – to solve glitches in software, broken hardware, broken machinery, damages to premises, dissatisfied customers, or the not so visible – decline in market share.

As a BA, you solve problems, yes, you do. Companies are looking to solve their problems quickly, that’s why they are looking for people with the right blend of business experience and the problem solving skills to help them.

Keep two things in mind: becoming a BA is like becoming a CA or even a lawyer or MD – after college you have to ‘article’ because you need hands-on experience, but companies no longer train because of the ROI.

Secondly, the title BA in one company will carry different responsibilities from the same title in another company, so read the job descriptions carefully.

I suggest that you consider 2 or 3 industries that interest you and research the businesses in them for which you feel passionate. For example, if you are passionate about finance, the banking and insurance have similar business models. Their BAs will have similar but not exact roles.

7. uday   September 30, 2010 at 10:39 am

Sir, in one of the earlier posts you have mentioned 2 basic career paths
    One being “domain business analyst” and other “IT Business analyst”.

I could see what is “domain business analyst”, but I am still not able to get job description of “IT business analyst” in terms of work an IT business analyst has to do in the company. How different is it from “domain business analyst” post ?

I am planning to apply for IT service or IT consulting companies as BA. Which one of the above role comes under them ?

8. IT Career Coach   September 14, 2010 at 7:47 pm

There is a FREE e-book on How To Start A Business Analyst Career here: http://www.it-career-coach.net/2010/07/27/free-coaching-on-how-to-make-a-career-change/

It provides you with a number of tools or processes for making a career change.

What part of the career change are you having issues or challenges with?

9. Mohit   September 14, 2010 at 4:59 am

I have done B.Tech (E.C.) and MBA (Marketing and IT) .

I am pursuing career in to sales for the last 2 years but I’m mnot satisfied so I would like to switch to the BA Domain.

Please assist me with this.