The post which you are just about to read answers the question of:“what is the most compelling thing on a web programmer’s resume or how do you gain the type of resume that will make you standout in the web development industry!“
Let me begin by saying that, the key thing that hiring managers are looking for on your resume is not your programming certifications or your college degrees or computer science education but your handson web programming experience.
It is only after software development managers are satisfied that you have the required experience that they will start considering other things like your training, certification, degrees, education or qualifications.
So the real questions here are:
- How do you get strong, hands on web programming experience?
- How do you document web programming experience on your resume?
How To Gain Compelling Web Programming Resume
Build ASP.NET Applications for you own personal use: Begin by developing asp.net web applications that have some real world, practical and personal benefit.
An example would be a web application that stores and catalogs links to useful ASP.net articles that you find on the web
Volunteer for open source ASP.NET projects: There are several open-source ASP.NET projects on sites like http://www.CodePlex.com.
Some of these open source projects need help from volunteer asp.net developers like you, who can design or develop new features or fix existing bugs in the open source project.
Volunteer for non profit projects: Find a non-profit organization close to your heart and volunteer to help with creating or improving their websites or software applications.
Work on freelance projects on websites like Elance or ODesk. Don’t get hung-up on trying to win the big bids, instead work on winning the smaller bids because you are still looking to build your skills, experience and clients and not to make a lot of money.
Working on real-world projects will help you get used to communicating with clients or managing project scope, deadlines or deliverables.
How To Document Web Programming Experience On your Resume
Go back and document all the projects or tasks or features you wrote or completed.
Describe the technologies you used, the business processes you supported, the type of project you worked on, the positive reviews giving by your clients or project managers or colleagues.
This is sometimes due to them because of low self-confidence or self-esteem.
Don’t have to wait until you complete a big project before you document your work or results.
Give a lot of time, attention and effort to documenting the smaller victories (tasks, features or software applications) you either created from scratch or completed.
Trust me, your resume would look much better than the other folks that don’t do use this highly effective technique.
When he saw that recruiters were taking him seriously and that he was getting a lot of calls for business analyst consulting jobs beginning at $30/hr., he decided to run back and complete his training … that is how powerful the techniques posted on this article are!
Though this article is written for computer programmers, you can adapt these techniques or use them to improve your resumes or get hand on experience for business analyst, data analyst, database or any other information technology (IT) jobs and careers.
This post is an answer to a question asked by Talibah Coleman on “How to put together a compelling ASP.NET programmer resume from watching ASP.NET software developer videos“.
You may click here to add your own No Holds Barred Questions, Comments or Discussion on challenges, problems or issues facing your career and i will respond to your question just as I answered Talibah’s question in this post!
- Full-Time or Contract W2 Programmer Job, Which Is Better?
- The Secret Art of Writing Highly Effective Killer Resumes for Computer Programming Jobs
- Reasons for Becoming A Computer Programmer Part 1
- You Can Become a Computer Programmer In Months Or In Less Time Than Most People Think Is Possible
- How To Become A Computer Programmer
- The Pros and Cons of Computer Programming
- In The Software Developer Industry, Experience Is King!
- Help Programmers Succeed By Making Money From The Internet
- Beginning An Entry Level Java Programming Job In Spring
- How To Get Computer Programming Experience
- How To Gain Handson, Web Programming Experience
- Is a College Degree Required For a Career in Computer Programming?
- How To Become a Microsoft .NET Software Developer
- Cowboy Coder Or Agile Programmer?
- Benefits of Becoming A Computer Programmer Part 2
- Why Microsoft .NET Jobs for COBOL Mainframe Programmers?
- How To Become A Highly Paid Corporate Programmer
- How To Succeed In Programming When You’re Old!
- It Is Never Too Late To Become A Computer Programmer!
- Entry Level Programmer Jobs For Beginners
- Breaking News: Software Engineers Have The Best Jobs In 2011
- About The 2012 Software Developer Internship Opportunity
- How To Be A Faster Programmer
- New Report: Software Developers the No.1 Most In-demand Nationwide in 2013