I just received a question that has to do with age discrimination for a Java programmer and I would like to share it with you.
I would like to find an IT Career Coach in San Diego CA.
I am a certified Java Programmer, and have an academic background in applied mathematics, but I did not work with J2EE and data bases, I would like to know what type of career is available in my age 55, what additional training is necessary.
Here is my answer to this question:
Thanks for getting in touch with me today about your java computer programming
I would certainly like to help you achieve your java training career goals.
Your age does not have a lot to do with your software development career success and here is why:
1. There is a federal law against age discrimination and most employers are aware of that. Click here to read an article on Wikipedia titled:
Age Discrimination in Employment Act
2. A lot of hiring or recruiting is done based on your resume and your interviewing skills. If your resume looks good and you perform at your technical interview, you will get a JAVA programming job in the current job market for java programmers …. guaranteed!
3. The demand for programming skills far outstrips the supply, so you will probably end up having multiple job offers, even if you don't have a lot of experience, but can demonstrate reasonable java programming aptitude and an excellent attitude during your technical interview.
In other for me to help you assess how much work you need to do to get a Java programmer job, please answer the following questions:
1. How much practical, real world, hands on Java programming experience do you have?
2. What types of Java programming projects have you been working on for the last 5 years?
Please do get back to me with these answers as soon as you can.
Kingsley Tagbo, IT CAREER COACH
Do you have a question about your software development career, business analyst career or software tester career you would like for me to answer?
Post your question as a comment on this page and I will answer that burning question on your mind …. guaranteed!
About The Author
My name is Kingsley Tagbo and I'm a technical expert living in Saint Louis, Missouri. I write about the training, coaching, mentoring
and personal development of software development professionals including business analysts, computer programmers, testers, project managers, web
designers, data analysts, report writers, software developers and other information technology professionals .
My firm, Exacticity, performs software development consulting and training for clients throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Singapore,
Australia and New Zealand. If you are in need of software development consultants or training, click here to get in touch with me.